What are Movicol Sachets?
Movicol Plain helps you to have a comfortable bowel movement even if you have been constipated for a long time. Movicol Plain also works in very bad constipation called faecal impaction.
The name of this medicine is Movicol Plain 13.7g sachet, powder for oral solution. It is a laxative for the treatment of constipation in adults, adolescents and elderly. It is not recommended for children below 12 years of age.
How to take Movicol Sachets
- This medicine can be taken at any time with or without food.
- Dissolve the content of each sachet in 125 ml (1/4 pint) of water and drink.
- A dose of Movicol Plain is 1 sachet dissolved in 125 ml (1/4 pint) of water.
- Take this 1 –3 times a day according to the severity of your constipation.
For Faecal impaction:
- Before you take Movicol Plain for faecal impaction, it should be confirmed that you have this condition.
- A dose of 8 sachets a day of Movicol Plain is needed for the treatment of faecal impaction. Each sachet dissolved in 125 ml (1/4 pint) of water. The 8 sachets should be taken within 6 hours for up to 3 days if required. If you have a heart condition, do not take more than 2 sachets in any one hour.
How to mix:
- Open the sachet and pour the contents into a glass. Add about 125ml or ¼ pint of water to the glass. Stir well until all the powder has dissolved and the Movicol Plain solution is clear or slightly hazy, then drink it. If you are taking Movicol Plain for faecal impaction it may be easier to dissolve 8 sachets in 1 litre of water.
How long should I take Movicol for?
- Treatment with Movicol Plain usually lasts for about 2 weeks. If you need to take Movicol Plain for longer, please see your doctor. If your constipation is caused by an illness such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis (MS), or if you take medicines that cause constipation your doctor may recommend that you take Movicol Plain for longer than 2 weeks. If you need to take Movicol Plain for longer, please see your doctor.
- Usually, for long term treatment, the dose can be lowered to either 1 or 2 sachets a day.
For Faecal impaction:
- Treatment with Movicol Plain can be for up to 3 days.
– This medication should NOT be taken for more than 5 days without medical supervision.
– This medication is for short term use only.
– This medication does NOT help with weight loss.
What do Movicol Sachets contain
Each 13.7 g sachet of Movicol Plain contains the following:
- Macrogol 3350 13.125 g
- Sodium Chloride 0.3508 g
- Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate 0.1786 g
- Potassium Chloride 0.0502 g
When it is made into a drink with 125 millilitres of water, each sachet gives the equivalent of:
- Sodium 65 millimoles/litre
- Chloride 53 millimoles/litre
- Potassium 5.4 millimoles/litre
- Hydrogen Carbonate 17 millimoles/litre