What are DulcoEase Stool Softener 100mg Capsules?
DulcoEase contains the active substance docusate sodium. This medicine is a laxative. It belongs to a group of medicines called ‘stool softeners’. DulcoEase is used to treat constipation in adults and children 12 years and over.
How does DulcoEase work?
DulcoEase softens the stools (faeces).
- It does this by increasing the amount of water within the stools (faeces)
- This makes your bowel movements easier.
It helps you when:
- You are constipated
- You have piles
- You have a tear in the lining of your anus (anal fissure)
What is constipation?
Healthy and regular bowel movements are essential for most people. However, what is ‘normal and regular’ varies from person to person. Some may have a bowel movement every day, others less often. Whatever it is like for you, your bowel movement should have a regular pattern.
- Constipation is an occasional problem for some people – for others, it may happen more often.
- Constipation happens when the typical muscle actions in the bowel slow down.
The cause of constipation is often not known.
It can be linked with:
- Lack of exercise
- A sudden change in diet
- A diet with not enough fibre
- Having to stay in bed for a long time
- Medicines such as morphine or codeine
- Loss of ‘tone’ of the bowel muscles in older people
Whatever the cause, constipation can be uncomfortable. It may make you feel bloated and heavy or generally ‘off-colour’. Sometimes it causes headaches.
Try these healthy tips to help prevent constipation happening:
- Eat a balanced diet, including fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Drink enough water so that you do not become dehydrated
- Keep up your exercise and stay fit.
- Make time to empty your bowels when your body tells you.
How to take DulcoEase Stool Softener 100mg Capsules
Adults and children 12 years and over
- The recommended dose is to start with one capsule 3 times a day. Then take more or less if you need to
- Do not take more than one capsule 5 times a day.
- Swallow each capsule whole with water.
Do not give DulcoEase to children under 12 years of age.
You should feel more comfortable within 1 to 2 days of treatment.
Talk to your pharmacist or doctor if you end up taking DulcoEase every day.
What do DulcoEase Stool Softener 100mg Capsules contain?
The active substance is docusate sodium. Each capsule contains 100 mg of docusate sodium.